Monday, January 19, 2009

Favorite Places

I've always felt bad that I was never any good at favorites. I could never name a favorite color, a favorite animal, favorite movie, I vacillated between favorite books, and I remain loathe to name a favorite friend. On a philosophical level, I despise favorites. BUT there is one favorite that I always wished I could name, and that is favorite personal spots. Nothing feels more intimate than being privy to someone else's favorite locales, and I've always wished that I could show someone mine. But like I said, I'm bad at favorites, horrible at scouting out nooks and crannies of towns, and generally don't get around much.

I'm trying to change that. I've started giving some thought to my favorites in the current town I'm in (and it isn't that big, which makes my tasks somewhat difficult). Today, I found my favorite daytime place to visit: the canal. It's gorgeous in an understated sort of way, and I can easily imagine myself spending time there to unwind or to talk to a good friend. I'm still working on the favorite night-time place. Maybe someplace with some good finger foods and a view? Somewhere where I won't get shot?

I'll take some pictures later. For now, enjoy this shot courtesy of the world wide web.

No comments: