Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pediatrics

I really like the way my current peds rotation assigns responsibilities to the med student. As I've mentioned earlier, I really think med students could do a lot more, and their personalities are generally those that like to rise to the occasion. Thus, there is no better way to teach and cultivate a med student than to have them perform tasks that are just a little bit above their comfort level (with supervision, of course).

Anyways, I'm on call tonight (in fact, I'm on call all week), but I'm FIRST call. So if a patient needs something, or if they're getting admitted, the nurses call ME first. Totally sweet! I really feel like I'm learning a lot better this way. I wish all rotations were like this. I like peds just fine so far, but I don't think there's anything intrinsic about the field that calls to me. But the way this rotation is being run, peds is going to be much higher up on my list of possibles than if it were being run the way, say, L&D was run.

I'm very excited about these next 6 weeks :-)

No comments: