Saturday, April 19, 2008

Win Ben Stein's...... Integrity?

Oops, you can't, because it's already lost. When a mutual colleague told me he was planning to host a movie night for Ben Stein's new Intelligent Design movie "Expelled," I inwardly groaned. Not because I'm against intelligent design, which I'm not, but because I am SO FUCKIN' SICK OF PROPAGANDIST MOVIES (from both sides)!

My personal feelings about intelligent design aside, it is utterly shameful of Ben Stein to exploit his status as an educated celebrity to make a movie that will give fodder to the paranoid, "oppressed" Christians and that will mislead those who genuinely want to know what's up with scientific investigation in the 21st century. I take Scientific America's viewpoint: Ben Stein is as bad as Michael Moore. If you're truly interested in stimulating debate about something, you should probably present the situation honestly and objectively, instead of telling lies to gullible people.

The selfish need to push our viewpoint, at the expense of truth, is usually why we (1) can't solve any problems in the world, and (2) can't convince opponents to think of us as anything but assholes.

Ben Stein, shame on you.

**Sidenote: Look at that picture above. Is that... a Harry Potter crest on Ben Stein's shirt??? If so, what a great way to send the message that "Magic rocks, science sucks!"**

No comments: