Thursday, April 17, 2008

This is provocative

A former alum sent this to me and some other people, and the main response was one of disgust. I have to disagree. I suspect the reason for all the disapproval she's receiving is because Americans are so used to thinking of the abortion debate as fundamentally about fetuses, and not about our relationships to our bodies. This is a girl who is less interested in exploring her reproductive potential than about exploring the extent of control she has over her body. How many times can I get pregnant, and how can I reject the conceptus without the intervention of the medical establishment? When and how does my right to control my body collide with the interests of a civil society? What does it mean to possess something in modern society?

These are important questions for anyone at all interested in the other side of the abortion debate, that is, the side of the pregnant woman herself.

Yale Senior Art Project Involves Multiple Self-Induced Abortions

Addendum: Apparently, the abortion part was a hoax. Statement from Yale here. However, it certainly did spark the debate she wanted.

No comments: